Friday, September 5, 2014

Labor Day Weekend!

I had a big long list of things we could do over Labor Day weekend with a few that I wanted to do more than others. Of course, the news report said it was going to be raining all weekend so a trip to the beach was out and a trip to a campground to play in the river and on the slip n slide was also out. So we went with plan C & D. 

Plan C was the Ballard locks. Dragon was talking about the fish we were going to see for three days before we went. I think that might've been a bad thing because he was less than impressed with the fish we saw swimming in the fish ladder. 

We happened to arrive at the fish ladder at the same time as a tour group so I had fun listening to all the things the tour guide had to tell us. Interesting fact, once the fish reach this ladder they never eat again. They spawn eggs and then die.

Apparently people used to fish out the dead fish for cat food but they are toxic when they die so it's not a good idea. Also, we should leave dead fish in the water because it gives the baby fish something to eat once they hatch.

Dragon was not very interested in what the tour guide had to say (also, he looks way too grown up in this picture!).

After the group left we headed back outside to watch the water. Unfortunately there were no good rocks to throw in so this didn't last very long either.

Proof that Colt and I were indeed on this adventure.

And a closer up of Colt because he's cute and he's wearing awesome batman socks ... Also, he's the best baby that seriously ever lived but we'll get to that later on in the post.

As we were leaving I saw a fish jump and said, "Look! A fish just jumped!" We sat there for a few minutes watching for another fish to jump so Dragon could see it but the waters were undisturbed. He was pretty upset he didn't get to see a "Fish jump!" Oh well. We made up for it by letting this be pretty much the only thing he ate all day (despite numerous efforts to feed him actually healthy things).  

At least a milkshake has milk in it. That's a pretty okay thing for him to have!

I finally tried something new at our all-time favorite hamburger place (Rain City Burgers on Roosevelt). I was not disappointed but now I don't know which burger I like better: Sounders Burger and Sonics Burger are both delicious (and spicy!). 

When we got home this kid didn't miss a beat. He got right down to business playing. 

Showing us how a fish jumps:

And this is how a Dragon jumps:

... Anyone want to do a bet on when Dragon will get his first broken bone?! Every. Single. Day. I think "Well, today is going to be the day!" Luckily, it hasn't happened yet. 

Monday we went with Plan D ... We headed to the Evergreen State Fair. 

While I definitely enjoyed the fair I was really mad at the weather channel for being so wrong about what the day would look like. If I'd known it was going to be hot and sunny all day long we could have gone to Jetty Island for the last day it was open this season. ... Boo. 

Oh well, we still had fun. It was just an exhausting kind of fun instead of a "relaxing on the beach/playing in the water" kind of fun.

We got to the fair just as the barrel racing started so we watched that for a bit. Dragon was ecstatic every time the tractors came out to re-rake the arena.

After the barrel racing we headed  over to the race track and watched "race cars!" for a few minutes. We probably could have just gotten comfortable and spent all day at the track if the cars weren't so loud. We had to plug Colt's ears every time a new set of cars raced down the track and he did NOT want his ears plugged. 

Once we managed to pull Dragon away we headed over to a lumberjack show.

It was a blast. I think it lasted about an hour and our kids were great for the whole thing! If I hadn't been holding Colt on my lap I seriously would have forgotten he was even with us. He didn't make a peep the entire time we were sitting there. Dragon started to get a bit antsy towards the end but then the guys climbed a 60 foot log so that recaptured his attention until the end.

After the show we went and saw all the animals.

Colt and the pigs:

Dragon and the sheep:

The boys and the cows:

 Dragon got to ride around on some toy pedal tractors and grind corn meal for awhile. He probably could have stayed there all day but I was, once again, getting really hot and I needed to get home!

So I asked him if there was anything he wanted to see before we went home and he replied, "Horses!" I asked him again a few minutes later just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and, once again, "Horses!" 

So, we went back and saw some more horses and then as soon as he saw them he fell asleep. 

It was pretty cute. He even fell asleep with a cracker still in his hand. 

Colt was also exhausted after his day of hanging out in the stroller and smiling. Seriously, he didn't even whimper the entire time we were at the fair. This kid is too good to us!

You know it's been a good day when both your kids are knocked out cold in the backseat. 

Hope your Labor Days were just as good!

1 comment:

Fran said...

How hot was it? 80 degrees?
Tee Hee