Thursday, March 7, 2013

March Madness

And I'm not talking about the basketball kind.

Ben started his new rotation for the month at 7:30am at a place pretty close to downtown. Since it's practically downtown parking is ridiculous (you'd think we'd be used to that after being here four years but I'll never think that paying $4 an hour to park a car somewhere is reasonable) so Ben has to take the bus which means he needed to leave around 6:00 or 6:30. That's pretty early. So, of course, E chooses Sunday night to wake up at 11:30 wide awake.

When I say wide awake I mean, wide. awake. This was taken around 11:45:

So Ben had an out since he had to get up early while E and I played into the wee hours of the morning. Which, generally, would be fine. I can manage a night like that.

But then came Monday night/Tuesday morning. 4:30am. I'd had trouble falling asleep that night so I'd only been sleeping for about 3 and a half hours. Thankfully, it was his first wake up of the night which is kind of typical. I get out of bed, feed him, put him back down. All is normal. ... Or so I thought. I climb back in bed and am moments from sleep when he starts crying again.


Maybe I didn't feed him long enough?

So I try again. ... And again. Ben gets up at 5:15 to get ready for the day. I'm still working on getting E back to sleep. Ben leaves for work around 5:45 ... Still trying to get the kid to sleep. At 6am I just give up. I bring him in our room and turn on James and the Giant Peach. We watch it for 45 minutes until he gets a little restless at which point I take him back to his room and try his bed again. This time he goes to sleep. Unfortunately, I've been awake too long to even think about falling back to sleep. Oh well. There goes another night of sleep deprivation.

I can handle two nights of very little sleep. Apparently, two nights is my limit though.

Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. 3am. I've been asleep for two hours. And then he cries. I feed him. He cries some more. I rock him and I cry. I'm tired. So, so tired. And then he cries some more. Finally, around 5 I think I'm in the clear and I dare to hope he's asleep until his normal wake up time. I lay down in bed as Ben gets up for the day.

I sleep. I sleep for two and a half hours! And then I wake up. And I find out from a text from Ben that E hung out with Daddy while Daddy was getting ready for work. He played in the bathroom, they at breakfast together. ... Why does he hate sleep?

Of course he chooses the week Ben is no longer home to help tag team to decide sleep is overrated. Of course.

Luckily, last night he slept. And when I finally fell asleep, I slept too. I don't feel like I'm dying anymore. Give me one more night of sleep and I might actually start to feel human again. Maybe.

I'll let you know.

1 comment:

kelsey said...

Ugh. I want to cry just thinking about this. I don't remember my last uninterrupted night of sleep. The worst is when you finally get your baby to sleep and then your 4 year old shows up wide awake for two hours at 4 am. My solution for baby sleep woes is to co-sleep. It's not great sleep because you take a foot to the face a few times a night, but at least you're in bed mostly asleep.