Sunday, November 25, 2012

Turkey Trot: 2012

We did it!

Hmm... Actually, maybe I should have saved that for the end. Let's start this over and you can pretend like you aren't quite sure whether we finished or not.

So ... It was storming all week. We didn't even get our Monday/Tuesday run in because of how hard it was coming down. In fact, we spent Monday sweeping/shop vacing our flooded garage. Luckily, it all dried up Thursday. In fact, it was actually kind of warm. ... Well, it was warm for a Thanksgiving Day morning.

We woke up bright and early (at 7:30am) and got our stuff together for the big event and drove across town to Golden Gardens--a gorgeous beach on the west side.

Before the 5K (with some pumpkin pie in the background), our family is anxiously awaiting to start our first annual Newman Thanksgiving 5K Tradition:

E wasn't all that excited to be stuck in the stroller in the middle of a big crowd and I don't really blame him. It's probably a bit claustrophobic down at his level.


In a few years I think E will be the Turkey Trot champion.



This was towards the end of the race when the pack had finally dispersed a bit. Up until then we had to fight for a place just to jog.

I'll admit I was a little annoyed at the people who had to be at the front of everyone at the start just to walk down the middle of the street in a line with their friends making it impossible for people with strollers to get by. Luckily, I was not the one pushing the stroller or else I might have just "accidentally" run into them.

This picture makes it look like I actually pushed him for part of the race but it only lasted long enough for Ben to take the picture.

Like I said, there were a lot of people (and I'd guess this is still only a fraction of the people that were participating):


And, because I'm sure you're dying to know if we finished or not:


We did it!

The time on the clock when we ran past the finish line was 33:15 but Ben and I are both certain we did it in less than thirty because we did a lot of shuffling from the time they said, "Go!" to the time we actually crossed the starting line. If my phone hadn't decided to power off mid-5K we'd know our exact time. Oh well. Guess we'll just have to do another one soon. (Right, Ben?!)

1 comment:

Fran said...

Thanks for taking us along on the Turkey trot!