Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ten Honest Things

Caitlyn over at The Other Hairs. No the Other Ones awarded me this challenge so let's just get right to it. Ten Honest things about me:

1. I hate/fear talking on the phone. I hate talking on the phone almost as much as I hate spiders. Each time my phone rings I have to convince myself to answer it. Also, I have been known to purposely misplace my phone just so I don't have to go through all the tormented feelings that come when someone is calling me.

2. My biggest regret in life is deciding to throw instead of run my senior year of high school track. I finally had some stiff competition for the 400m run that year so I used my knee as an excuse to quit rather than use that competition to get better. I think it was my way of trying to keep the title of "I was the best 400m runner at my school". I don't know if I realized my reasons at the time, but looking back, had she not been so close to beating my times I have to wonder if I would have pushed through the knee pain for that last season. I am, however, forever grateful to my track coach who still let me go as an alternate for the 4 by 100m relay to the State Track Meet even though I hadn't run a single race that year. (Yes, there were several people who thought that was completely unfair and they were probably right but that doesn't change the fact for me).

3. I love math. I am not nearly as good at it as some people, but I still love it. There's something about solving an equation that just gets me all excited inside. It's like solving a little mystery every time you get the right answer and being a detective would be really cool.

4. I hate my college major. I have decided that while the classes were extremely entertaining and I enjoyed the course work, my teachers used the subject matter to lure me into a major that I will never use. That's right, my marketing teachers marketed marketing to me so that I forgot about the small detail that I would have to be in "sales" before I could really do much else with my marketing degree. I hate sales so ... this was probably the worst possible subject for me to get my degree in. I'm annoyed at least once a week for all the money I wasted on it. Oh well. Live and learn.

5. When I applied for the Marriott School of Business I only had a 55% chance of being accepted based on my grades. It's little facts like this that remind me my 12th grade English teacher didn't know what he was talking about when he told me I didn't know how to write a paragraph if my life depended on it. I have to remember that it was my essay, my writing, that got me into that program on the first try whenever I'm feeling inadequate with something I've written.

6. I still feel inadequate 99% of the time I write something that other people will be reading. It's amazing that with 11 years of loving the school subject English, one teacher and one class could ruin that for me for the rest of my life. This blog has been a sort of healing exercise for my fear of those inadequacies.

7. I love. I don't know how to like. Ask my mom. I never just liked something. Let's take Oreos for example. A simple cookie and yet, I was so in love with these treats that every birthday my friends knew what to get me and I'd end up with 7-8 packages of Oreos. Then there is Extra Spearmint Gum. I've had a pack of that stuff in my purse since I was probably 14 years old. I used to always have to have a piece in my mouth, unfortunately my jaw feels the side effects for all those years of chewing gum but it was worth it. Then there is Bread, Mass Effect, The Internet, stars, etc. I could go on for a long time on the stuff that I love and really should just like but ... we'd be here all day.

8. When I was younger and my family was getting food from the Bishop's Storehouse I remember we "got" to bag our own food. That was one of my favorite things to do when I was that age. I enjoyed it so much that for at least a few years my goal in life was to be "A grocery store worker".

9. I want to go into space. I've always been fascinated with the sky. I used to spend nights just lying on my bed looking up at the night sky counting stars. Then in High School I took an Astronomy class which was pretty boring but the days that it wasn't boring just expanded my curiosity. Nowadays with the internet, you can see so many things about space and several times those videos and pictures take my breath away. I can only imagine what it would be like to experience that first hand.

10. I was in love with a boy in 6th grade who always wore a BYU coat. That coat and that boy got me interested in BYU. As a result, I made a goal to go to BYU. Sometimes I wonder where I'd be right now if I hadn't been so ... "obsessed?" with that boy. I'm not complaining though. I made a very important goal and it has guided the direction of my life since then. I hope my sisters find something similar to motivate them.

So now you know a bit about me that you may or may not have already known. I guess the moral of the story is, I'm a little weird, but aren't we all?

Now to award this challenge to five other people. If I don't pick you but you want to do it, by all means please do. And if I do pick you but you have no desire .... well ... I'll let it go, for now.

(I used a random generator to pick the people for this based on our blog lists so .... here they are for not particular rhyme or reason:)

Maria at The Andersen Family

Rachel at Mike and Rachel

Heather at The Boyce Spot


Jay at The Life of Jay

Janell at Pictures and Prose


Also this is "our" 250th post ... woo hoo!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this, Brooke! Just for the record, I think you're an excellent writer and I love your blog!

kelsey said...

You want to go into space?! That's cool. It seems totally scary to me. Similar to scuba-diving, only worse. Will is really into planets right now, so we spend a lot of time thinking and talking about space.

Mrs. Mike said...

This was a fun read. I always enjoy finding out more about my sis-in-law that I don't get to see very often. I'll try to do it for you sometime. I think it would take me awhile to think of ten interesting things!

Janell said...

I very much enjoy your writing--style and structure. Easier said than done, but you shouldn't be insecure about it. I'll have to think about 10 things...