Sunday, February 7, 2010

A New Job

After a phone interview and then an in-person interview I was offered a job as a Temporary Office Assistant 3 with the Physics department at the University of Washington. I'm pretty excited about it. If our plans work out this temporary job is absolutely perfect.

While at the in-person interview she told me she had about 370 applicants for the job and that HR didn't do a very good job at narrowing it down for her which is why she had to do phone interviews before hand. I'll be honest, I'm glad HR didn't do a good job. I tend to think they are lacking in judgment because they only forwarded my resume to the department 1 out of 10 times I applied for a job - it got annoying. (When you apply for a job on the UW system HR reviews your application before sending it on to the people who actually make hiring decisions.)

Since it is a temporary position I will be done around the beginning of July. At that point they are planning on turning the position into a permanent position so I could reapply for that or if I don't want to, I won't - we'll see.

While I am very happy to be bringing some money into our bank account with all the money we are spending on tuition and food and rent, I am very much going to miss my sleep. I really love sleep. Oh well. I'll have to get up at 6am so I can hop on a bus at 7am and be to work by 8am. Maybe if they are flexible and don't mind me coming in 10 minutes late I'll be able to push everything back by a half hour. But at least the first little bit, I'll be very tired come midday.

Anyway, tomorrow is day number one. Let's hope my alarm goes off and I actually pay attention to it. Thanks for all your prayers and support you gave during my job searching process.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Brooke! I hope it's awesome!

Samantha said...

Congrats! That's exciting. New jobs are a fun time. You'll be OK with the sleep thing- I have always been very attached to my sleep, and never ever been a morning person...let's just say that's changed, not by my own desires, and I'm still alive! Keep us updated!

Adam and Hilary said...

CONGRATS! That is great news. I am so happy for you. :) Let me know how you like the job.

kelsey said...

How did the first day go?

Stella Elaine said...

Hey Brooke, congratulations on the new job! They called me a few weeks ago for a recommendation - and I told them they would be very lucky to hire such a wonderful person. Glad for you, and I hope you enjoy it.