Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Body Worlds Exhibit, Part 2

Ben, Jay and I went to the Body Worlds Exhibit last Saturday. Good news! It was way easier to stomach this time. 1. They arranged the exhibit in a much more user friendly fashion and 2. I had seen a lot of the things before so it didn't have the same "awe" factor.

In Portland they just kind of threw the exhibit at you. The first thing you saw was a corpse with muscles, etc. and hanging on his arm was his skin. (They didn't have this one on display in SLC) I could have posted that picture but I find it to be one of the more disturbing displays because it makes me think of the whole Hannibal Lecter "Silence of the Lambs" thing. In Salt Lake City the first part of the exhibit was easing you into the more "graphic" displays. You see bones, some organs, explanations of how these organs work, etc. and once you get used to these things they throw in a few full bodies. Anyway, in that sense I enjoyed this exhibit a lot more. It was so much easier to be "eased" into the whole thing, however, I did enjoy seeing it the first time just because it was so different from anything I'd ever seen before.

There is definitely the question of intent in regards to the exhibit. I think intent lies in the eyes of the beholder. If you go to see weird body parts and don't have any interest in the education this provides then I think it's more like a weird circus show. But if you go wanting to see the exhibit for all that it is ... it really is a VERY educational experience. I could have probably spent an entire day in the exhibit reading about the different functions of the body if I hadn't had two other people waiting on me.

I think I've decided if I go back to school It'll be so I can be a Hospital Administrator. (Unless I go to Culinary School ... because I don't think that'll help me reach the same type of goals.)

No comments: